Skip to main content

Mother's Day



OKAY, post #2! Here we go....

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers out there! I have some of the most amazing moms in my life. Moms that are friends, family and co-workers. It takes a special something to create a tiny human and raise them into amazing images of yourselves. I'd be worried constantly and cry a lot. (This is what I do over my dog.) It's truly a miracle that you've done this. You deserve every pampering and all of the cake and cookies!! I told my mom today that I know I have a big head.. so she deserves this day for the physical pain I caused her........She said my brother owes her more. 

I am full of useless knowledge. Anyone that knows me knows that I know random things. I used to think I would be on Jeopardy or something and win a lot of money... In reality, I just know fun facts. I wanted to learn the origin of Mother's Day.. so here's some "fun facts" of this day for ya.... 

1) Mother's Day began as one single woman, Anna Jarvis, in the early 20th century. Anne wanted to celebrate her Mom, Ann Reeves Jarvis. The first celebration was actually a memorial after Ann's death in 1908. 

2) Ann Jarvis was a peace activist in the Civil War. She played for both sides and nursed numerous soldiers back to health. 

3)Ann Jarvis started Mother's Day Work Clubs to tell individuals and families about health issues that could affect them regularly. 

4)Congress actually refused a proposal to make Mother's Day an official holiday in 1908, but by 1911 all US states recognized Mother's Day. (In yo' face congress!)

5) Woodrow Wilson signed off on Mother's Day being recognized by the US in 1914.

6) Anna Jarvis actually hated the holiday because it became so commercialized and actually ended up hosting boycotts of the holiday. Her argument was that people should do more meaningful things than buying their mother a nice gift. (Do you agree? Comment below!) 

My mom has actually requested to cook dinner for us. She doesn't want a lot of attention. My grandmother asked that we all just join her for church. I think the growing view of Mother's Day is that you spend time with your mother and thank her for everything she has done for you. 

So, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Enjoy your day moms, and if you aren't a mom, spend time with yours... tell her you love her.... she'll love that more than anything.

----------

I cannot get enough of the fact that I had 208 views (20 of which were probably me reading this over and over again) on the first blog post! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! If you loved it, yeah! If you hated it, thanks for not telling me. 

Shoutout to Heather W.! Thank for your feedback. You da best!

I know I said I wouldn't post any weekend posts but this was one that hit me in the feels right before bed. Hope you enjoyed this short one. Comments are always welcome. Thanks for dropping by!!!

See you soon!

xx-T


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Moved!

Hey y'all. I'm so sorry I haven't posted to the blog in a while. I feel really off my game since we have moved this past week. We've been building up to this for the last few months and now we're done. FINALLY. We moved into a great house with pecan trees in the front. (SN: Pecans fall from September to November) This house was built in 1939. It has the original front door.  I think that's my favorite part. We have two fireplaces, a HUGE Kitchen and a very large backyard. I need your help reader. I need to know how I can find out more about this house. Who built it... etc. Anyone have any insight into how I can do that?? Let me know in the comments or message me on Facebook. ------ Here's my list about to-dos when you're moving and what not to do (we learned this well) TJ and I go our separate ways when moving. He's the heavy lifter of all large items and moves them himself without my help. (Think hiring movers but for free) On the...

Numero Uno

Hey, girl, hey!  Today I'm rambling about a few of my favorite things. Things I need to get through each day. And because I ramble, they are in no particular category. #1) COFFEE I need this every morning. Not a cup in the afternoon, not some when I get home. Just in the morning. In the biggest cup they offer (20 oz. by the way). What's my go to? Definitely the Caramel Macchiato. If I'm counting calories it's a cappuccino (non-fat). I -heart- O'Henry's because of the atmosphere. You walk into a GIANT community table. This week, I saw a group of ladies at another community table having bible study. One of the women had brought everyone roses in the cutest teacups. Talk about precious right? O'Henry's takes time making your coffee. It's always the perfect temperature. I don't have to wait 10 minutes for it to cool down (which I never do, because most of the time I just drink the scalding liquid life and burn the &*$! out of my ton...

Sadness on the Inside, Happiness on the Outside

Hey y'all! Today I'm coming at ya with some MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS. May is Mental Health Awareness Month and you know I'm an advocate for this!!! I have been dealing with mental health issues since I can really remember. My Mom will tell you it started in 9th grade. I'm not sure when it struck, if it has been there since birth, or what caused my high functioning depression and anxiety. What I can tell you is that I can't remember not having anxiety/depression and that my grandmother and great-grandmother both had manic depression (commonly known today is bipolar disorder). Genetics? Possibly. Nature vs. Nurture? Who knows... What I do know is that I've learned to cope, some days are harder than others, and if you catch me on a bad day I'm a full on B*%&. Let's talk facts: (You knew this was coming right?) 1) 1 in 5 American adults will experience a mental health issue. 1 in 25 has a serious mental illness. 2) Suicide accounts for 41,000+ ...